10/30/2010

Halloween 2010

We had our ward Trunk-or-Treat on Saturday October 30, 2010, and the kids had a total blast. Jared went as an Army man, complete with camouflage face paint. The fatigues that he wore were his grandpa Christiansen's, which was pretty cool.

I went as a witch with orange and black striped tights, orange and black fake eyelashes that went on forever [those were Jamie's favorite part, always the girlie girl :0)], and spray painted black hair. It took almost 2 full cans of that hair color spray because my hair is so thick and even then we didn't get it all covered.
Spencer went as "Skullzore". He had his hair done really wild and painted jet black. We also painted his face gray and black. At 10-years-old, he is really into the scary part of Halloween or maybe its just a boy thing.

Jamie was going to go as a princess but changed her mind that afternoon and decided to go as a fairy. It was a really good thing that I had all of the stuff needed to complete a fairy costume at home already [thanks for the tulle tutu mom, you are a life saver].

Jacob went as Tigger from Winnie the Pooh. We painted the tip of his little nose black and drew some whiskers on his cheeks. The cool thing about his costume [besides all the ladies telling him how cute he was and him getting shy and laying his head on my shoulder] is that Spencer wore it when he was 2-years-old, Jamie wore it when she was 7-months-old, and now Jacob wore it at 10-months-old. The costume is a size 18 months and when Spencer wore it, it fit him perfectly. When Jamie wore it, it was way too big for her and I had to pad her with extra thick sweats underneath [it was really cold that year]. When Jacob wore it, sadly enough, it barely fit him, he is really tall. I am going to be really sad to have to retire this costume now.


Being that is was a "Trunk"-or-Treat, we decorated the back of the van. We put black plastic table cloths draped from the ceiling to the floor to block off the front part of the van. I had some Halloween lights that my awesome mother-in-law, Arlene, gave me that we were able to use. They are kind of like a strand of Christmas lights except that each tiny bulb is covered with a plastic pumpkin on one strand and a plastic ghost on the other strand. We hung one strand on either side of the open trunk. I had some Jack-O-Lanterns made out of wax that you can put a tea light candle inside to make them glow. We put them in the back also with candles inside them. I wanted to put some tombstones in the van too and make it look like a cemetery [thanks for the awesome suggestion aunt Robynn] but I ended up not having enough time to make them. To finish it up, we had some spooky Halloween music playing on the stereo. It turned out pretty good but, if they do it again next year, I want to really put some extra time and effort into it to have the best trunk there. :0)

At the end of the night, Spencer said to me that the coolest part of the whole night [besides the obvious...CANDY] was the fact that Jared and I dressed up too. He said that we should do that every year. The fact that it made him so happy, having me and his dad dressed up too, made it completely worth it to me. Overall, it was a really good family night for us and I am already looking forward to next year.

No comments: